Oklahoma Farm Report masthead graphic with wheat on the left and cattle on the right.
Howdy Neighbors!
Ron Hays, Director of Farm and Ranch Programming, Radio Oklahoma Ag Network  |  2401 Exchange Ave, Suite F, Oklahoma City, Ok 73108  |  (405) 601-9211

advertisements
   
   
   
   
   
    
   
   
   
   
   

Agricultural News


Don Close on the Impact of More Dairy Calves for Beef Consumption

Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:23:19 CST

Don Close on the Impact of More Dairy Calves for Beef Consumption



In today’s Beef Buzz, Ron Hays talks with Don Close, Senior Analyst with RaboFinance, about a new report on the impact of more dairy calves bred for beef consumption.

Close said the idea of a “beef makeover for dairy” project has been in the works for about ten years, but we are just now seeing the impact of more dairy calves in our feed yards.

“I truly think this is a win-win situation for both the beef producer and dairy producer,” said Close.

He noted there probably wouldn’t be a huge increase in net beef supply, but there could be a difference in the ground beef and trim markets.

Close said the drivers of this project has been improved dairy genetics for breeding the 30 percent elite dairy cows with top high-end dairy bulls, opening the remaining 70 percent of the cows to breed with beef bulls. Another factor is the lower fluid milk prices have forced dairy producers to look at this program.

Close said it could bring $100 to $150 more per dairy calf. This increase could keep many dairy producers in the business.
Click on the LISTEN BAR below to hear the complete interview with Don Close as he talks with Ron Hays.

The Beef Buzz is a regular feature heard on radio stations around the region on the Radio Oklahoma Network and is a regular audio feature found on this website as well. Click on the LISTEN BAR below for today’s show and check out our archives for older Beef Buzz shows covering the gamut of the beef cattle industry today.

   

   

right-click to download mp3

 

WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI

 


Top Agricultural News

  • Oklahoma Grain Elevator Cash Bids as of 2:00 p.m. Friday April 3, 2020  Sat, 04 Apr 2020 16:32:49 CDT
  • Friday, April 3, 2020 Market Wrap-Up with Justin Lewis  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 15:39:59 CDT
  • Global Changes Could Impact U.S. Farmers' Spring Planting Intentions Says USDA Chief Economist Rob Johansson  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 14:30:08 CDT
  • Despite Global Challenges, U.S. Pork and Beef Exports on Record Pace through February  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 14:07:52 CDT
  • USDA Adds Additional Flexibilities for Crop Insurance to Support America’s Farmers and Ranchers  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 13:18:47 CDT
  • Coronavirus Impact Ripples Across Farm Country  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 14:15:59 CDT
  • *Deadline Extended* OKFB Accepting Applications for $1,000 Scholarships  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 11:39:47 CDT
  • National Sorghum Producers to Open Board Director Applications  Fri, 03 Apr 2020 10:17:47 CDT

  • More Headlines...

       

    Ron salutes our daily email sponsors!

    Oklahoma City Farm Show KIS FUTURES, INC. Oklahoma Ag Credit Oklahoma Farm Bureau National Livestock Credit Ag Mediation Program P&K Equipment AFR Insurance Stillwater Milling Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association

    Our Road to Rural Prosperity sponsors!

    Banc First OPSRC ORWA TPAOO TPAOO

    Search OklahomaFarmReport.com


       
       
    © 2008-2020 Oklahoma Farm Report
    Email Ron   |   Newsletter Signup   |    Current Spots   |    Program Links

    WebReady powered by WireReady® Inc.