OSU's Kim Anderson Gives an update on the Impact of the Freeze on Grain PricesThu, 22 Apr 2021 15:37:31 CDT
Oklahoma State University Extension Grains Market Analyst Dr. Kim Anderson talks about what is going on in the Wheat Markets weekly on SUNUP. This week Dr. Anderson said we are all waiting to see if the latest freeze has impacted the Wheat, "Well you look at the freeze and the impact from it..The Morning after and mid morning had an 11 cent increase in both corn and wheat prices, you had 11 cent increases in sorghum prices, then a nine cent increase in soybean prices. Now if you look over the last couple of weeks, say back to April 21, wheat could be forward contracted for harvest delivery for $5.47, $6.25 on the sixth, thats a 78 cent increase. You've got Corn, $4.68, up to $5.25 thats a 57 cent increase. Sorghum from $5.63 to $6.05, and soybeans from $12.01 to $12.40. So what we've seen is some of that is that increase, from the weather and from the freeze, but there's other factors going on in the market." To hear more from Dr. Anderson, click or tap below..
This week on SUNUP, Amanda Silva explains how the recent statewide freeze event could impact the wheat crop.
- Then, in the Mesonet weather report, Wes Lee explains why this week’s record cold and below freezing temperatures could impact vulnerable plants. Gary McManus summarizes the newest drought monitor.
- In Food Whys, Darren Scott shares the story of the yogurt’s origins.
- Brian Arnall has soil nutrition advice for producers planning their summer crops.
- In Vet Scripts, Dr. Barry Whitworth says new solutions could be on the way soon for treating the barber pole worm that impacts sheep and goats.
- In Cow-Calf Corner, Mark Johnson and Parker Henley talk about preparing replacement heifers for ideal breeding times and calving schedules.
- Finally, Kim Anderson says China may not need U.S. crop exports as much as it used to, which could impact global markets.
Saturday at 7:30 a.m.
Sunday at 6 a.m. on OETA-TV
WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI
Top Agricultural News